Through using Math Centers & Printables in the classroom, an opportunity is provided for students to practice and apply the skills taught within the classroom. Teachers have the opportunity to work individually or with small groups to meet the individual needs of students, while students are engaged in purposeful centers.
Centers should be designed to:
- provide meaningful, independent practice based on the standards, curriculum objectives and students’ needs;
- include a variety of activities differentiated to meet the needs of students;
- change regularly according to the needs of students;
- hold students accountable for the work in which they are engaged;
- allow teachers to assess students’ math skills, strategies and understandings.